Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday – The Goddess Test

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine, and specifically spotlights upcoming novels we can't wait to read. This week’s choice is:
Title: The Goddess Test
Author: Aimee Carter
Publisher: Harlequin
Publish Date: April 19, 2011
Pages: 304
Genre: YA, Greek Mythology, Paranormal Romance
Summary: It's always been just Kate and her mom--and now her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess. And if she fails….
A few weeks ago, my WoW was Abandon by Meg Cabot, another retelling of the Hades and Persephone myth. Both books will be released in April, less than 10 days apart. I really want to read them both as I really like Greek mythology. Both have beautiful covers and the descriptions sound like they will be really good.
I know sometimes it just happens that two very similar books get released at the same time, like Matched and Delirium, and instead of being able to stand on their own, they get compared to the other book which is unfortunate.
Do you think books that are similar do better when released apart from each other or do they benefit from each other's hype? 

7 comments:

Gina @ My Precious said...

Ooooh they both sound really enticing. I think its a bummer they are being released so close together. But, if they weren't then the first one may have an advantage over the second?

Jenny said...

Both are fabulous picks, I haven't heard much about the Goddess Test but I'm a huge Greek mythology fan so this one seems perfect for me! And Abandon I've been waiting on forever, I can't wait until it finally comes out!

Alison Can Read said...

Oooh...Goddess Test sounds interesting. I love the font on the cover.

Allison said...

Interesting that two books on the same relatively rare theme are being released so close together. Hee, maybe Persephone is the new vampire?

Anonymous said...

Greek Mythology must be having a bit of a ressurgence - I just read Darkness Becomes Her which comes out this week and it incorporates a greek god or two.

Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out
www.bookdout.wordpress.com

danya said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog! I am looking forward to both The Goddess Test and Abandon - it seems like 2011 is quite the year for YA novels about Hades and the underworld (another one is Sirenz).

Aleeza said...

i hope my request for the goddess test gets approved by netgalley. ive been wanting to read it ever since i found out about it--which was like, six or seven months ago! :)
and, er, sorry for the comment spamming. hehe :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...